I have noticed several things about New York City, particularly now that I am becoming more used to the area. People here cross the street even if the light is green, everyone is recycle crazy, pigeons should be the new state bird, for being one of the top fashion capitals of the world no one ever gets ready for the day, better yet dress up, the subway route has an express train that we unfortunately found by ending up at the wrong destination, and we saw every breed of dog that exists outside on a leash this morning. Which brings me to today. Kathrine and I went on a gorgeous run this morning. Yesterday, next to the Hudson river, we found a trail that took us to a rather trashy area of Harlem, so we decided to start running in the opposite direction today. On on side you could see huge trees along the Hudson river, taller than the Provo trees that line south campus apartments. And on the other side were giant apartment complexes. Bigger than the apartments in Salt Lake. Some even remind me of the enchanted ones. Soon enough we came to a part of the trail with flowering trees on both sides, it was gorgeous. That was our last run together. Now the party for the past couple days is over and the real work begins.
Kathrine and I went to our stations for the first time today. She went to Dateline and I went to Fox. Other BYU students also go to dateline, Dave goes to Fox's morning show, and I am the only one that goes to Fox news at night. My job is to work with a show called "On the Record" hosted by Greta Van Susteren. It is the top rated news show for the 10pm hour in the nation. Months before I came I researched information about Greta and watched the show constantly. She seemed pretty down to earth so I was excited to work with her. My first day, someone had to let me into the building because Fox is located in Avenue of the America's, a highly secured building. I started talking to this person and found out she has been working for Fox for 12 years. Little did I know, she was the Executive Producer for Greta's show. Her name is Meade and is obivously very successful in what she does. I found out the first day...she is very passionate about the news. You kind of have to be in order to sell your nights, weekends, holidays, and birthdays to it. In my producing book they tell you the description of a power producer, someone who works under pressure but doesn't freak out, someone in control who isn't bossy, someone who knows how to work with a team and let other people do thier jobs. I didn't think a person like that actually exsisted until I met Meade. I found out that Greta's show had another intern but she was leaving the day I came in. During the story meeting they had cupcakes for her going away party. I decided I was going to like it here. Meade had told me some things in the elevator before we actually reaced the 18th floor. I was extremely depressed to learn that Greta lived in D.C. and her show was sent to New York for editing. I asked if Greta ever came to New York and Meade said, "I think Greta likes New York. She has an appartment near here, and comes to the new york studio often." It was a relief until I talked to the other intern who said, "Greta hardley ever comes to the New York studio. I only met her once in the time that I've interned here." Before coming to New York, I was so excited to meet Greta, now I was just depressed. As the day wore on I became more and more ok with the fact that the anchor lived in a different state. The old intern trained me on several things and told me the ins and outs of the show. She also told me about the people I would be working with and what they do. She said that Meade was like the Wedding Planner, extremely successful, but she goes home to an empty house every night. Personally I don't think Meade ever goes home, it seems like she lives off of AP wires and show graphics. I don't know if I could ever do that, but I think she is incredible for it. Justin was the producer in the field. He travels a lot and sometimes gets air time. I guess he wants to be an on air personality someday. But then again, who doesn't. Tracey and Gissel are the people I would be working with most, they are Assistant Producers for the show. Tom and Sam are booking producers. Brad is one of the real producers. The writer lives in Los Angeles California and communicates by phone. Sometimes we have to put the speaker next to the phone so he can listen to an entire interview. That would be a hard job. I think it is also wierd that he can't get Ardome video. We were allways taught to write to the video. But the writer is accross the country and sometimes I'm the person picking the video. Anyway last night I was finding video off ardome when I met one of the editors. He asked where I was from and I said Utah. He said he had a friend that moved to Park City for a banking business because a lot of mormons lived out there and they like banking. I was like, what? We like banking? He then could tell I was confused and said, "Are you mormon?" I said yes and Tracey said, "did you know that Glenn Beck is a mormon? I went to one of his dinner conferences when I worked on his show and he said that it turned his life around." I think I like Glenn Beck more now. Then Tracey said that I should get into the banking business and be the economy reporter for park city. I think she is hillarious. Everyone told me that I would be freaked out when I came to New York. That it was this huge scary place I would never fit into. But now coming here, I realize that even though this place is different from what I am used to, people are still people and that will never change. I love the people that I work with. Everyone is so nice. I love walking through the city looking up. I like working in the editing room looking out the window to the hundreds of buildings below. It is different, but that doesn't mean I don't like it and could never understand a new york lifestyle, its just different and thats what I like about it.
The next day I went in for my first "real" day of work with out the help from the other intern. Her time was over and now I was alone to start working by myself. I walked in the door and Tracey said, "Erika! Greta is coming to the New York studio today so you might get to meet her!" That got me excited enough to start the day. I went to the story meeting, waited for stories to start coming through so I could find video for them, and moved to the editing room. I asked tracey if I could sit in the studio and watch the live news cast. She said that I probably could.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment