Sunday, April 26, 2009

Beep...Beep...Beep...
My alarm brought more realization than a wake up call. Today was the day, there was no turning back. Five o' clock in the morning, and I would soon be reconstructing a new environment for myself thousands of miles away from a place I have lived my entire life.
Scared, nervous, and excited? The typical emotions never hit me, instead, I felt exaughsted, and mellow. To be quite honest, finals, packing, and moving an apartment can slowly suck life out of you. Finally at the airport my mom gave me another bag and said, "Are you sure you don't want me to park the car and come check in with you?" At the moment I must admit I thought about saying, "yes please come help me check in, I have no idea where to go". But instead, "no, I'll be fine" was all I said.
Kathrine and I met, boarded our plane, and after a boring five hour flight...ended up at one of the largest airports in the world...with all our stuff...trying to get a taxi. Imagine huge bags tipping over curbs, and two Utah girls looking confused.
Once Kathrine and I were in a taxi driving through Harlem, the driver noticed I was staring out the window and said in a thick accent,"Don't worry, there are some white people on the nicer side of Harlem." Besides having a city with completely black people, Harlem was not shokingly different like everyone told me it was going to be. In fact, it was just like I expected. Graffiti, houses extremely close together, small shops everywhere, and crazy traffic.
Then we started driving down a street with trees and huge buldings...this place would be my new home.

Kathrine and I ran around exploring...we found that you aren't in Utah anymore when you see:

So we have an old fashioned style...and found a phone booth that looked liked it was transported from the fifties.

And this is the street where we live:

No comments:

Post a Comment