So we found the Fox News Building today;) It was extremely exciting for me.
Every thing in New York is compact, even the grocery stores...;)


Have you ever experienced something you've heard about, maybe read about, seen pictures of, but never quite internalized until you actually find yourself physically involved in that place? Lately, I've been feeling a lot of that, especially today walking through the church of St. Paul’s at ground zero. I always knew the twin towers fell, and I always thought it was important to our history. But when Kathrine announced that we were going to see a random church, and a hole in the ground, I wasn’t way excited, but I wanted the bragging rights of saying I went to ground zero. We headed out on the subway with Dave and Kasey to see the sights. The church happened to be where hundreds of people were housed during the time that the twin towers fell. So I began walking around the very very old chapel, looking at the several different memorials, until one in particular caught my eye. It was full of teddy bears stacked on top of each other, gathered from a local teacher to send to the children in New York. I read the tag on one of the bears. It said, "To a special person" written in scribbled crayon. I stopped and stared at it. Even a child understood how completely horrific something like this was and wanted to help someone else feel better. I realized that this was not just another tourist sight, but an actual place that once had two buildings, with hundreds of people, and many of whom had died. I realized the incredible amount of unity a country can have for one another, even if it is just comes down to sharing something as simple as a teddy bear.

That night I went up to the very top floor of my building to see Kasey’s room. I wanted to go because she calls her room the Harry Potter room. Apparently, she has the only room on the 12 floor and the elevator doesn’t even reach her level. So I had to find it of course;) the curiosity was gnawing at me. Walking up the staircase, we got to her room. When she showed it to me she said, “Do you want to go outside?” and she began climbing out her window. I guess she has a fire escape outside her window, so it is kind of like a balcony. When I climbed outside the window a gust of warm air rushed past me and I realized that you could see whatever you wanted from up there. If you walked to the right you could see the Hudson River and Brooklyn bridge lit up like a Christmas tree. If you walked up the fire escape ladder you could see the empire state building and all the city lights in their splendor. It was gorgeous, and I found my self never wanting to leave. It looked like it was a picture from a postcard that someone had sent me from New York. But no, this was real, completely real, and I soaked up every second that I became apart of this incredible place.
No comments:
Post a Comment